Self Pity
"What did you get for your birthday?" people ask me.
"The flu," I reply.
Having been 29 for 7 days, I now have 358 days before kids start calling me "lady" and people wonder what kind of crazy has led to my eternally single state. (Also, my boobs being held up by my belt.)
In the meantime...
"ID please?" In my stuffy-headed stupor, I was confused that the Walgreens lady wanted my ID. My purchase consisted entirely of Nyquil caplets and 'Kleenex plus lotion.'
People keep telling me to take it as a compliment that I look young. Like when the bartender mistakes you for a partying 20-year old, and feels the need to protect you from possibly driving under the influence of alcohol.
Note that this is NOT the same as being mistaken for a 17-year old high school student who is rebelliously going to the corner store
without parental supervision, and the check-out lady tries to protect you from sleeping while sick. (Apparently, you have to be 18 to buy Nyquil.)