I survived. Mostly.
"Wow, you look exactly the same!" I was told, again and again, by people that last saw me during the age of zits, dyed purple hair, and incorrectly sized bras. The former high school classmates then asked one of two questions: "What are you up to?" or "Uh, do you still go by
'Phil'??"
In the days before the dreaded reunion, I considered

telling people the truth -- cold fusion, unemployment, homelessness, etc. But in the end, I was much more successful: I told them nothing!
Q: Where do you live?
A: Oh, in the bay area.
Q: What do you do?
A: Lots of stuff! Today, I went pee like 4 times!
Q: How have you been?
A: Uh... my brother got engaged!
Thanks to my brother, I had an anecdote to tell people that
appeared to be personal information, yet revealed nothing about my life
whatsoever.
------
In conclusion:
I hid, evaded, said lots of stupid things -- in the end it wasn't
so bad. Maybe high school itself would have been borderline tolerable too... had I been holding a free gin & tonic, that is.