page 1A

Laura in Cyberland

INTERNET NEWSLETTER


Obsessive Compulsiveness
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Mountain View California -- I want to talk a little about my brother today. My brother has these obsessive compulsive behaviors which are pretty amusing, and might be worth sharing. For starters, my brother has outfits. He has exactly two shirts designated to match with each of his pair of pants. Each pair of pants has a specific pair of shoes that goes with it, but each pair of shoes is designated two pairs of pants, resulting in four total outfits for each pair of shoes. The three pairs of shoes and twelve total outfits are rotated between days to vary his appearance, giving a variety of looks to match his hairstyle, which does not change for any day. The hairstyle of choice consists of a straight part on the left that is gelled smoothly over to the side, except for the three hairs on the right that he carefully moves a little bit out of place, and then gels again to make sure they stay in their carefree, out-of-place location.

This quality of my brother’s was great when we were kids and he cleaned up for the both of us after a giant Lego castle building party, but got kinda annoying after it starting applying itself to things that did not involve cleaning up after me. For example, I went over to help my brother hang up a painting in his bedroom (carefully chosen to match the color of his bed sheets) where I waited about half a menstrual cycle for him to get the painting in the just right place and straight enough for his liking. Finally, we hit the nail into the drywall, hooked up the vacuum cleaner to vacuum up the bit of drywall dust that was created by the nail, and then hung the painting by the bed for about two seconds until it was decided that the painting was an inch too high. We spackled and painted the first hole so that it would not show and then got the vacuum back out of the closet again, ready to clean up the drywall dust from round 2 of painting hanging.

Anyway, the reason I am writing all this is because it want to explain my first (and my favorite) anecdote in a recent column that mentions my brother. You see, not ALL of his clothes are actually designated into one of the twelve outfits. In my brother’s bureau, in a very special drawer, there is a small number of shirts specially put aside for use on Spontaneous Days. On the rare day of spontaneity, my brother will wake up, put on a matching shirt-pant-belt set, and then recklessly ignoring the integrity of the outfits, put on a shirt that is daringly allowed to match any one of the six pairs of pants.

A rebel without a cause, indeed.

He also told me last Monday that he could not hang out with me on Thursday night because he was “being spontaneous on Thursday.” Whatever that means...
 
Comments:
This is such a gross exaggeration!

1) some pants have 3-4 shirts that match it, not always 2.

2) shoes have an amazingly arbitrary and spontaneous number of matching pants/shirts/etc...not necessarily 4.

3) you're missing an entire concept in the spontaeous shirts explanation: spontaenous pants! Spontaneous pants go with spontanous shirts. I do NOT wear spontatnous shirts with non-spontaneous pants (if I did, then what about the matching shirt that I was supposed to wear with it? Just not wear it at all? Ridiculous.) In fact I am wearing insanely spontaneous shirts and pants RIGHT NOW! It's a non-stop crazy party all day!

4) To demonstrate my out-of-nowhere fun-ness and craziness, I will now spontaneously mash keys on the keybouard: sjfiajvnio dfnwevfoivvb fuhbvuefh uebfhvehbf

Oh crap, it's 3:48pm! I'm late for my 3:45pm water fountain trip and scheduled bathroom break! Gotta go!

[Wasn't it SAT, not THU that we were gong to hang out? I totally woudl have too, but unfortunately there were NFL playoff games...I guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.]
 
i LOVE gay guys. *heart*
 
You almost killed me. I nearly choked on the raisins and spice oatmeal I was eating when I read your use of a menstrual cycle to measure time. Forget the engineering prefixes peta- (10^15) and exa- (10^18) used in quantifying extremely large numbers. Now we can just use the female biological clock. I do love your cleverness! :-)

I wish my sister were into blogging. It's rather amusing how you two argue via blog. :-)

And Cliff, I wouldn't let whomever called you gay get away with it. It was obviously a girl since no straight guy would use *heart* in public. You must hunt this girl down and make passionate love to her for 15 hours to prove your straightness! Unless of course it was Laura, in which case I have no useful advice to give. :-\
 
hey laura, this is a response to the message you left on my blog...

ACTCM is the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The idea is that in four or five years I'll be an acupuncturist. Maybe I'll also learn Mandarin and Kung Fu and then I'll be able to rightfully say that I'm more Chinese than you.

Oh, and your brother is ridiculous.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Current Events -- March 2013

I found my Idol.

Fri, Jan 20, 2012

Seriously. I can only strive to be more like her.
This Young Woman Scored $1,200 A Month In Fancy Dinners Using Match.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

No, I don't have a facebook. This blog is my web presence, and if you want to reach me, it connects to my email.

Right now, I live in the bay area, but I tend to move around a lot. Staying in one place makes me so restless.


More blog entries

Select a month to see posts from that time (recent posts at the end) July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / October 2011 / November 2011 / December 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / March 2012 / April 2012 / June 2012 / March 2013 /


Cyberfriends