page 1A

Laura in Cyberland

INTERNET NEWSLETTER


In My Free Time
Saturday, September 10, 2005
Unemployment -- Laura reads books from the humor section.
I was browsing through my local bookstore the other day, and I found this hilarious book titled "Diary of a Viagra Fiend" by Jayson Gallaway. Although the book loses some steam about 100pages into the story, the beginning is just fabulous. Here are the first few pages:
(warning: this is not a politically correct book. children under 18, pregnant women, and persons with heart problems should proceed with caution.)
"Have you tried it?" he asks. I look up from my desk to find a middle-aged friend leaning toward me conspiratorially, his face an odd combination of deadly seriousness and abject glee. "Viagra...have you tried it?"

Christ.

Earlier today, I made a lame joke about Viagra. A coworker walking by snarked an offhand comment about the droopiness of a floral arrangement on my desk, and I jokingly suggested dropping a Viagra in the vase to "perk things up" a bit. I expected to hear a courtesy chuckle as he walked away, but I didn't. And now here he is, lurking ominously over me, essentially asking me if I have trouble getting it up.

"No!" I finally say defensively.

Why would I have tried it? That stuff is for old men whose spouses sleep in the spare room. I'm a virile, healthy, 29-year-old American male. Sure, there has been a time or two when, for reasons ranging from lack of interest to methamphetamine, little Tyson hadn't quite been ready to get in the ring when the bell rang. But that happens to everybody, right? Okay, yeah, so I recently acquired a 19-year-old girlfriend (let's call her "Lolita") and maybe I've been feeling just a tad insecure about not being capable of some of the erectile heroics I was capable of at 16, when random stiffies occurred more often than not, and were so solid they were almost prehensile: you could hang umbrellas on them (if you felt you had to).

But things are fine....I haven't been worried about it.

"You should try it. Trust me," he says, "it's amazing."

But I...

"Doesn't matter...try it. You will thank me."

Hmmm. "Do you have any?"

"Nope. I just tried it last weekend. A buddy gave it to me. It's easy to get. Try the Net." He winks and walks away.

Hmmm.

Six hours later, I'm at home in front of the computer looking at one of about 47,000 Viagra Web sites I found and answering a confidential medical questionnaire over a secured Internet connection. Pretty basic stuff at first: name, date of birth, medicinal allergies. Then we get to the good stuff: No, I am not "experiencing erectile dysfunction" (really!), but for the sake of this experiment, I click the YES button. I hear a voice of dissent begin to growl from areas trousal. Soon it's crying out in rage at the slander that is being committed online. I tell it to calm down, that this is just an experiment, blah, blah, blah.

And then I realize I am speaking out loud to my penis. Jesus, maybe I do have a problem.

So I submit my form and my credit-card number, and am told that an online physician will carefully review my questionnaire, and, if his expert diagnosis determines that Viagra is right for me, my order will be shipped immediately via commercial carrier.

Two seconds after I click the OK button, I receive an e-mail saying the online physician has carefully reviewed my questionnaire (and presumably my credit-card number) and after much deliberation has decided that yes, Viagra is indeed for me.

If you are interested, you can read the rest of chapter one here.
 
Comments:
I'm glad you finally tried bagels and hummus. it's one of my staples these days.

in fact, I'm working at the bagelry (the bagel store my parents used to own) again. and now, in addition to making bagel dough, I'm also working in the kitchen making the hummus. all I have left to do is start baking the damn things and I'll have it all covered.


PS viagra is gross.
 
LOL! Oh my heck...that is too funny...and moderately sad. He's 29 and is already having some "issues!?" This guy should exercise more or something. Granted, he's mbmmblmbmlmb years older than I, but I can't see my own prowess dropping off in so few years! Sometimes I wish I *were* a little more...relaxed. I get excited too easily, and I wonder if I could ever be affectionate toward my (currently non-existent) girlfriend in public.

And I love the thing about the bell curve, esp the part "you belong on the left." LOL - you math snob! I once had a well off businessman tell me that when he was going for his MBA, he glided through the mathematics involved since he had majored in engineering as an undergrad. He was laughing at how the other students took like a week to figure out an integral. Cynical sadist! :-)

Good thing they didn't have to prove the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem from Topology (and I mean from scratch - no referencing lemmas allowed!) ;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Current Events -- March 2013

I found my Idol.

Fri, Jan 20, 2012

Seriously. I can only strive to be more like her.
This Young Woman Scored $1,200 A Month In Fancy Dinners Using Match.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

No, I don't have a facebook. This blog is my web presence, and if you want to reach me, it connects to my email.

Right now, I live in the bay area, but I tend to move around a lot. Staying in one place makes me so restless.


More blog entries

Select a month to see posts from that time (recent posts at the end) July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / October 2011 / November 2011 / December 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / March 2012 / April 2012 / June 2012 / March 2013 /


Cyberfriends